The Texas Scholars program is a workforce development program sponsored by the Odessa Chamber of Commerce, in partnership with ECISD, local businesses, and area nonprofits for high school students.
Community service hours are required to encourage students to expand their awareness of community needs and civic responsibilities. The objective is for students to gain adult insight by beginning to recognize and accept personal responsibility in meeting needs in Ector County.
To become a Texas Scholar, a student must be:
- In grades 9 - 12
- maintain a 2.75 grade point average
- complete high school foundation plan with at least one endorsement
- submit community service forms to the Texas Scholar school coordinator by April 10 annually
- volunteer a minimum of 50 hours of community service by April 10 of their senior year
Minimum requirements for community service hours submitted are:
- Ninth grade year – minimum of 5 hours
- Tenth grade year – minimum of 10 hours
- Eleventh grade year – minimum of 15 hours
- Twelfth grade year – minimum of 20 hours
The deadline to turn in your Texas Scholar hours in order to receive credit is April 10th. Completed community service forms may be emailed to ECISD.DevelopmentOffice@ectorcountyisd.org.