YOUR FUTURE BEGINS TODAY!
The Texas Scholars program is a workforce development program sponsored by the Odessa Chamber of Commerce, the Ector County Independent School District, and Ector County businesses and non-profits for 9th through 12th grade students.
Community service hours are required to encourage students to expand their awareness of community needs and civic responsibilities. The objective is for students to gain adult insight by beginning to recognize and accept personal responsibility in meeting needs in Odessa and Ector County.
Volunteering helps develop teamwork and communication skills, builds networking opportunities, and provides a sense of achievement and appreciation.
To become a Texas Scholar, a student must be
- In grades 9 - 12
- maintain a 2.75 grade point average
- complete the Recommended High School or Distinguished Achievement Program
- submit community service forms to the Texas Scholar school coordinator by April 10 annually
- volunteer a minimum of 50 hours of community service by April 10 of their senior year.
Minimum requirements for community service hours submitted are:
- Ninth grade year – minimum of 5 hours
- Tenth grade year – minimum of 10 hours
- Eleventh grade year – minimum of 15 hours
- Twelfth grade year – minimum of 20 hours
The deadline to turn in your Texas Scholar hours in order to receive credit for them is
April 10th. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Seniors who successfully complete the requirements for Texas Scholars are awarded a special certificate, and are eligible for a scholarship at Odessa College or UTPB. Seniors need to contact their campus counselor for information on how to apply for that scholarship.
- The approved agency list and certification forms for the Texas Scholars program may be found on the ECISD website at ectorcountyisd.org.
- If a student is short hours, they may submit hours to make up for the requirements not previously met.
- In order to be recognized as a Texas Scholar each year, a student must accumulate the minimum number of hours required in that particular school year.