The National Association of School Nursing defines school nursing as "a specialized nursing practice, protects and promotes student health, facilitates optimal development, and advances academic success. School nurses are grounded in ethical, evidence-based practice. They are the leaders who bridge health care and education, provide care coordination, advocate for quality student-centered care, and collaborate to design systems that allow individuals and communities to develop their full potential." Adopted by the NASN Board of Directors February 2017.
The Registered Nurses and Heath Aides of Ector County ISD believe that a student's health status directly impacts their ability to learn and meet educational goals. ECISD has a registered nurse or health aide at each campus. These professionals serve as a liaison between school personnel, family, community, and healthcare providers to advocate and facilitate the educational process.
What does a school nurse or health aide do?
- Provides health assessments and interventions for students and staff who become ill or have an injury.
- Interprets students’ health status to parents, school personnel and coordinates with medical providers and other health resources.
- Administer medication to students according to medication policy.
- Screens, evaluates, and makes referrals for vision, hearing, scoliosis, and risk assessment for Type 2 diabetes, Acanthosis Nigricans.
- Provides pediatric medical specialty procedures, such as gastrostomy feedings and catheterizations.
- Promotes and assists in controlling infectious diseases through preventive measures, immunization programs, early detection, surveillance, reporting, and follow-up.
- Provides health education to students, staff, and parents.
- Serves as a resource for physical and mental health promotion, accident and injury prevention, infection control, and a safe school environment.
- Ensures compliance with required immunizations.
- Instructs CPR, the use of the AED, first aid, Unlicensed Diabetes Care Assistance (UDCA), administration of life-saving medications and treatments, such as Epi-pens to staff.
- And so much more.
Director of Nursing and Health Services:
Rebecca Rhodes, BSN, RN, NCSN
Located at GHWB
New Tech Odessa
300 East 29th Street, Room B-6
Odessa, Texas 79762
Administrative Assistant, CNA: