The Internal Audit department shall function under policies established by the Board. Individual Board members may contact the Internal Auditor with suggestion of audit focus areas, but shall have no individual authority to direct such audits. Audit selection shall be based on the Internal Auditor’s professional judgment augmented by the direction of the Audit Committee.
By the Internal Auditor reporting “functionally” to the Board, the Board’s responsibilities will include:
- Annually reviewing and approving the Internal Audit Charter
- Approving internal audit plans.
- Communicating with the Internal Auditor concerning internal audit activities.
- Evaluate the Internal Auditor’s performance.
- Making decisions regarding the appointment or removal of the Internal Auditor.
By the Internal Auditor reporting “administratively” to the Superintendent or designee, the Superintendent’s /designee’s responsibilities will include providing:
- Budget, accounting, procurement, and other necessary support.
- Human resource administration, including support in hiring personnel and providing compensation.
- Adequate work space, furniture, and equipment.
- Administration of the District’s policies and procedures, to include enforcement of time and attendance, travel, and purchasing requirements.
The Internal Auditor and staff of the Internal Audit Department have responsibility to:
- Develop a flexible annual audit plan using an appropriate risk-based methodology, including any risks or control concerns identified by management, and submit that plan to the Audit Committee for review and approval as well as periodic updates.
- Implement the annual audit plan as approved, including as appropriate, any special tasks or projects requested by management and the Audit Committee.
- Maintain a professional audit staff with sufficient knowledge, skills, experience, and professional certifications to meet the requirements of the Charter.
- Issue periodic reports to the Audit Committee and management, summarizing results of the audit activities.
- Assist in the investigation of significant suspected fraudulent activities within the District and notify management and the Audit Committee of the results.